Thursday 27 February 2014

Getting to know Alex Neto...


So Alex or Neto as you more widely known as, we first met around 5 years ago in a baracca in Icarai. Back when you were a young surfer kid with long hair, a big smile and a surf board constantly under your arm. A kid who always asked questions about kiting, now you are one of the top kitesurfers in Brazil! It’s amazing progress in such short time, how did you do it?

The first time I tried kiting I knew it was special, I'm a surfer but from the first jump I made kiting I was hooked! There was so much more adventure in a kite than just riding and carving a wave. I started kiting everyday and would only surf when there was no wind. I probably spend more time on the water than at home with my family but I guess thats how I got to where I am today!



74388_667454783312429_1258867523_n2. Coming from Ceara you are spoilt for choice when it comes to kiting. Where are you favourite spots to train, who do you train with to keep pushing yourself to next level and why do you think Brasil is producing so many amazing kiters?

I'm really proud to come from and live in Ceara and it's the perfect place to kite. I usually train in Cauipe Lagoon and Cumbuco beach. I'll learn new trick in the flat water then go train them in the ocean. I train with Set Teixeira, Alex Pastor, Eudazio da Silva and Carlos Mario (bebe) we all help and push each other to keep trying for new tricks to keep pushing the limits and our levels higher, which in turn makes the other local kids do the same.


9S5A70633. You ride for BEST kiteboarding, part of their Global team. How does it feel to be part of such a talented team?

Being part of the Best team has changed my life completely. Being with them has encouraged and motivated me to push myself even more, their support and belief in me has helped me so much. I want to be on the podium even more! The team is great and we all share that same motivation and hunger to win!

web_240609KS01
Aaron Hadlow 5 x World Champion. 5 x Campeao Mundial
4. You must have met a lot and seen a lot of great kiters who was or is your biggest inspiration on the water?

When I first started I would watch all Aaron Hadlows videos, he was the most stylish rider at the time and the easiest to watch and imitate. I still like to watch him kite now but there are loads of other great riders out there now like Alex Pastor and Eudazio Silva who ride with a lot of power but its great to watch all the pros train as they all have new things to show off!

993020_678438218880752_1790201897_n5. Being on BEST Global means you now travel extensivly to follow PKRA world tour. Let us know what you have in your quiver bag and what are you’re cant live with out travel items?

In 2013 thanks to BEST Kiteboarding I got the chance to travel back to Europe. Check ins start to get annoying after a while what with oversized and over weight bags but on the whole I love to travel! I'll normally have 4 or 5 kites, 4 bars, 2 boards and wetsuits so my bags are HEAVY!  I always have a few caps with me too...


1660285_679187902139117_1877359472_n6. Traveling can be tough and sometimes even a little lonely. Have you got a good crew to hang with on the tours and what kind of mischief (if any) do you guys get up to in between competing and no wind days?

I usually travel alone but always meet up with friends at the places I go. Last year I traveled a lot with Chris Bobryk from USA we had a lot of good times kiting, filming and partying! I hoping for a few more trips like that this year!


1658623_677197395671501_623076021_o7. You must have been to some incredible Kite spots around the world, so far where has been your favourite and what was it that made it so special?

So far one of the best spots I've been to was in the south of Italy, Marsala. The PKRA had a stop there last year  I really liked the conditions. Another place that is great even if the wind isn't is Podersdorf in Austria, the people are so awesome!


9S5A10728. You’ve just had an epic start to 2014 what with beating Aaron Hadlow in a heat and finishing 3rd at the first PKRA stop in Panama, how are you feeling after that?

I'm so stoked about it! The level at the event was high, everyone was riding really well making the tittle hard to win. I had some bad sessions training sessions at the spot but once the event started I managed to concentrate and focus more. Winning against aaron hadlow wasn't a easy job for me but I was so focus on it and trying my best to advance that it all worked out in the end. He was riding very solid like usualy he does but maybe because of the tough conditions and maybe the wrong kite size it didn't go so well for him. I won that heat just by 4.18 points! 


alex neto9. After such a great year last, what are your plans and hopes for 2014?

True, last year was the best year so far in my career, this year I want to make it even better than the last! So it means going bigger and also going to more pkra stops than last year. I hope to make a great performance at all of them. I will also try to be on the podium max as I can, to get a good ranking position in the end of the year!


and finally Neto,

alex neto110. What advice do you have for any young athletes out there hoping to get into to professional kiteboarding?

You only live once, so if you want to do something you really like then dream big and just go for it! The chances will always there you just have to find  them!


Thanks Neto! We wish you the BEST of luck for the coming year and hope to be able to share more of your success stories in the future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
  • The Beach Chic
  • +